Wednesday 29 September 2010

Puzzles and Music

What is this?


A Rubiks cube! This is my favorite kind of puzzle, I love it, I adore it, and all of it's brothers and cousins. There are lots of different types of puzzles, in fact if you look in wikipedia there are roughly 17 classifications but Rubiks has it's own category.

There is something very satisfying to me about a rubiks

cube and other off shoots of twisty puzzles like the Pyraminx,




































The Masterball:





























And my all time favorite: the square one (pictured above).


Each of these puzzles vary in difficulty and number of algorithms to solve. What they all have in common though is a set of principles and sets of rules that must be

identified to solve them.


Other puzzles, for me, are slightly

less satisfying. Puzzles like Disentanglement Puzzles, or Interlocking puzzles just don't seem to do it for me. I suppose it's because the process is far more straight forward, putting pieces together in the right order or tilting angles at the right time and pulling or just fidgeting about. I still enjoy them very much but I feel a totally different part of my brain being used (or teased) when I work on twisty puzzles rather than these.

Weirdly this is also how I feel about music.


it's bad when this happens:


Unless you mean it to. I love puzzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment